Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"I'm going to marry that girl".

  We are getting things worked out to have Ava baptized at my Grandmothers church in Salisbury, NC on October 30th. I am so happy that she will get to have something in common with my Grandmother, since she will not get the childhood memories of her like I was blessed to have. I miss my Grandma so much, and even though planning Ava's baptism is a exciting time for us it makes me miss my Grandma even more. She would be so proud that we are having Ava baptized at her church.

    My Grandma loved her church and everyone in it. I can't remember a time that I visited her that her church didn't come up. She was a Godly woman and had a true love for church and had been blessed to find a church like Haven. She joined Haven when she was nine. She loved to tell us about the day she and her family joined the church. She said they all walked to the front of the church so the pastor could introduce them to the congregation and welcome them to Haven. Sitting in the congregation was my Grandpa. Grandma said that he told her that as soon as he laid eyes on her he whispered to his friend sitting next to him, "I'm going to marry that girl". Marry her he did. My Grandma and Grandpa raised both of their children at Haven and during the summers when we were kids we always went to Haven on Sundays. Grandma sang in the choir and took part in lots of church activities.  Haven meant so much to her and now to us because of her.

  As we celebrate Ava's baptism on the 30th I know my Grandma will be celebrating along with us.


   


My Grandma holding Ava for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment